[Insight-users] Re: DRR generation problem

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jan 20 14:50:58 EST 2006

Hi Jian,

Thanks for reporting the difficulties you are facing with the
example

        Insight/Examples/Filtering/
            DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1.cxx

It seems that the source of the confusion is that the program is
using the default coordinate system. That is, the focal point is
by default, aligned with the origin.

When you don't provide an input image to this example, it creates
a default synthetic image that contains the brigth edges of a cube.

See lines:   316-402.

This default image has the following characteristics:

      Size in pixels =    61,  61,  61

      Pixel size     =   3.0, 3.0, 3.0

      Origin         =   0.0, 0.0, 0.0

So, by default, the projection will of course be off centered
because the line of sight of the projection is aligned with
on of the edges of the image, not crossing through its center.

If you want the projection to be centered with respect to the
image, then you should simply use the option "-t", with a
translation that is equal to half the physical extent of the
image (and negative).

In this case, the extent is

          (3*61, 3*61, 3*61) = ( 181, 181, 181 ) mm

Therefore,

         if you put translations of   "-t -90,-90,-90"

      then you will get a centered projection of the cube.

More specifically,

            Please use the following command line:

   DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1 -t -90 -90 -90 -o CubeDRR.img

This will give you a centered projection.

for an example using a real image, you could also try:

   DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1 -t -90 -109 -90
                         -o brain.img  brainweb165a10f17.mhd

(in a single line)

The brainweb image can be downloaded from the Data page of www.itk.org:

             http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm
             ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/BrainWeb

   Please let us know if you have further questions,