[Insight-users] how to stack many 2D Dicom image (slices) to produce a 3D volume and visualize it!

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jan 27 10:37:51 EST 2006

Hi Charfeddine,

ITK does not provide any visualization functionalities.

If you want to implement volume visualization you have
the option of combining ITK with:

    * OpenGL
    * OpenInventor
    * VTK

There are many examples of combinations of ITK and VTK
that you can consult on the InsightApplications checkout.
Combining ITK and VTK is very natural because both toolkits
have similar coding styles and similar architectures.

You should read the tutorial:

"Getting Started II: Using ITK with VTK"
http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

In InsightApplications, you should look at applications
such as

     * ThresholdSegmentationLevelSet
     * FastMarchingLevelSet
     * ShapeDetectionLevelSet
     * GeodesicActiveContour
     * SegmentationEditorFltkGui
     * SNAP
     * LiverTumorSegmentation
     * DeformableModelSimplexMesh
     * DeformableRegistration3DTimeSeries
     * CellularSegmentation
     * ImageRegistration2D
     * ImageViewer
     * ImageColorViewer

If you are looking for applications ready to use,
you could also consider:

     * Slicer      www.slicer.org
     * VolView     www.volview.com