[Insight-users] How can I build a dicom serie from separeted bmps?

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Jun 1 10:48:31 EDT 2006

Bruno Barcellos wrote:
> How can I build a dicom serie from a separated .BMP snapshot images
> using ITK? I have converted each .BMP to DICOM separately, acrescenting
> to the headers of the generated DICOMS informations from the DICOM
> headers that originated the .BMPS. But some tags cannot be changed, e.g.
> (0002|0003) and (0008|0018). Are there some tags that I can modify to
> explicity that the separated DICOM slices compose the same serie?

Bruno,

	You need to read the BMP series as a series (in proper order!) and
write it as a DICOM series. But before you save the image you need either:

1. To set the spacing (x,y,z), you need to set the direction cosines (I
guess the default should be ok). And then write it using ITK CVS.

2. Set a proper metadatadictionary that would contain the Image Position
(Patient) (and Image Orientation (Patient)) for each individual slice.

I believe there are example for both in ITK.

HTH
Mathieu
Ps: Do not modify anything from group 0002, please.