[Insight-developers] Re: [Insight-users] Histogram bug with maximum possible value ?

Gaetan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jun 8 08:13:46 EDT 2006

Hi Luis,

So it explain the observed behavior :-)
However, a naive user (let say me) would think the following code (stollen
 from itkOtsuMultipleThresholdsImageFilter.txx to implement my own filter)
will return an histogram with all the values:

   // Create a histogram of the image intensities
   typename HistogramGeneratorType::Pointer histogramGenerator =
HistogramGeneratorType::New();
   histogramGenerator->SetInput(  this->GetInput()  );
   histogramGenerator->SetNumberOfBins( m_NumberOfHistogramBins );
   histogramGenerator->Compute();

By the way, does it mean that OtsuMultipleThresholdsImageFilter code is
broken ?
Perhaps the class ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator should be modified to
set the min and max values to include all the values ?

Gaetan

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:00:25 +0200, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
wrote:

> For mor details, you may want to look at the Examples:
>

>        Insight/
>              Examples/
>                 Statistics/
>                        ImageHistogram1.cxx
>                        ImageHistogram2.cxx
>
> in particular to the call for the methods:
>
>           SetHistogramMin()
>           SetHistogramMax()
>

> Note again that the min and max values of the histogram
> refer here to the values of the bin bounds, not the the
> values to be accepted in the bins.
>
> For an image of integer pixel type, the bounds of the
> bins must be of the type K-0.5,K+0.5, so that the bin
> accepts the value K (where K is an integer).
>

>     Luis
>

> ---------------------
> Luis Ibanez wrote:
>>  This is a known behavior of the Histogram.
>>  The correct way to use the histogram class for an image of 8-bits
>> is to set the minimum and maximum to values such as -0.5 and 255.5
>>  Note that the types for setting min and max are not the image pixel
>> type but its RealType.
>>  The reason is that the min and max that we pass to the histogram
>> class are the values for the min of the first bin and the max of
>> the last bin.
>>  If you want to include all the samples, the min value of the bin
>> bounds must be lower that the actual minimum value expected in the
>> population, and the max value of the bin bounds must be larger
>> than the minimum value expected in the population.  This is standard
>> for computing histogram.
>>  The unfortunate fact is that there are too many bad habits acquired
>> for people that got used to work only with 8-bit images, and expect
>> the min and max of the histogram to be 0 and 255. Those are actually
>> the mid-values of the bins, not the bounds of the bins.
>>  It may be convenient to have a helper initializer class to set the
>> min and max values for images of (char) and (unsigned char) so that
>> user's do not have to think about these details.
>>        Luis
>>    =========================
>> Karthik Krishnan wrote:
>>
>>> The histogram class is a widely used class. Please file a bug report
>>> and assign it to me with a high priority.
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> That said, I am surprised, it does not handle pixels with intensity
>>> 255. See lines 90-102 of
>>> http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/Numerics/Statistics/itkListSampleToHistogramGenerator.txx?annotate=1.14&root=Insight
>>>        h_upper[i] = ((THistogramMeasurement) upper[i]) +
>>>          NumericTraits< THistogramMeasurement >::One ;
>>>        if(h_upper[i] <= upper[i])
>>>          {
>>>          // an overflow has occurred therefore set upper to upper
>>>          h_upper[i] = upper[i];
>>>          // Histogram measurement type would force the clipping the
>>> max value.
>>>          // Therefore we must call the following to include the max
>>> value:
> [...]

Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)
tel: +33 1 34 65 29 66    fax: 01 34 65 29 09
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr