[Insight-developers] Re: [Insight-users] Histogram bug with maximum possible value ?

Jim Miller millerjv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 08:36:22 EDT 2006

Karthik,

I think the ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator should set the min/max bounds
to be k-0.5, k+0.5 as Luis indicated.  This is how I build my histograms for

integral types.

I think the code

      h_upper[i] = ((THistogramMeasurement) upper[i]) +
         NumericTraits< THistogramMeasurement >::One ;
       if(h_upper[i] <= upper[i])
         {
         // an overflow has occurred therefore set upper to upper
         h_upper[i] = upper[i];
         // Histogram measurement type would force the clipping the max
value.
         // Therefore we must call the following to include the max value:
         m_Histogram->SetClipBinsAtEnds(false);
         }

should be scrapped for integral types and specify the bins with as k-0.5
,k+0.5.
Then the ClipBinsAtEnds does not need to be used.

On a side note, we may want to come up with a synonym/antonym for
ClipBinsAtEnds.
What this mode is doing is deciding whether to include all the mass in the
distribution that is outside the histogram domain in the first/last bin
verses
just ignoring that mass. I just don't know a better name right now..

AutoExpandHistogramDomain()
IgnoreDataOutsideHistogramDomain(),
IngoreMeasurementsOutsideHistogramDomain()
IncludeDataOutsideHistogramDomain(),
IncludeMeasurementsOutsideHistogramDomain()

These modes bring up an interesting question. If the ClipBinsAtEnds is off,
then the first/last
bin runs to -+ infinity respectively.  If you then ask for the bin bounds,
should the first/last bin
report that their bounds are -+ infinity respectively?  Probably should.

Jim