[Insight-users] install itk under cygwin

Quan Chen quanchen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:55:28 EDT 2006

I was using cmakesetup.exe under windows to setup the itk and it work
perfectly.  Recently I try to install it under cygwin.  However, I failed at
the first step!  I followed the instructions, create a bin directory, set
environment variable CC and CXX (is that required step?) using export, and
run ccmake with argument of source directory.  However, after a few
configuration tries, I got the message saying my system is unknown to cmake
(running uname give me CYGWIN_NT-5.1).  Then the testCCompiler.c failed to
compile because the system cannot find the path specified.  This file is in
the source directory tree but not in the binary directory tree.  I am
wondering if there is a missing step to copy it from source directory to the
binary directory?  Should I turn on the CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATH?  What is
the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX?  is that where the cmake should be located?  The
cmake I installed comes with cygwin, it is located under /bin, version
2.4-patch 2.

The error message is list below:

System is unknown to cmake, create:
/usr/share/cmake-2.4.2/Modules/Platform/UnknownOS.cmake to use this system,
please send your config file to cmake at www.cmake.org so it can be added to
cmake

You CMakeCache.txt file was copied to CopyOfCMakeCache.txt. Please send that
file to cmake at www.cmake.org.

System is unknown to cmake, create:
/usr/share/cmake-2.4.2/Modules/Platform/UnknownOS.cmake to use this system,
please send your config file to cmake at www.cmake.org so it can be added to
cmake

The C compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" is not able to compile a simple test program.
It fails with the following output:
 nmake -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

"Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o"
/usr/bin/gcc   -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.o   -c
/cygdrive/c/newitk/itksource/InsightToolkit-2.2.0
/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/test
CCompiler.c
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\program files\microsoft visual studio .NET
2003\vc7\bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.