[Insight-users] Solaris64-bit build

Simon Warfield warfield at crl.med.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 13 19:36:53 EDT 2006

Gary Kline wrote:

> We are using ITK in a commercial product which we must build on
> several platforms, and sometimes using different compilation tools on
> the same platform. One such case is the Solaris platform.
>
> We are building on Solaris 9 (5.9). We build 32-bit versions using gcc
> (3.3) and Sun Studio 9 (cc & CC version 5.6). We also have a version
> built with 64-bit support using Sun Studio 9, adding the –xarch=v9
> option. The workstation is a SunBlade 150 Sparc based system.
>
> When we build ITK using the 32 bit compilers, all of the ITK tests run
> and pass. When we build ITK using the 64-bit option with Sun Studio 9,
> we get the test failures listed below. Does anyone have any idea why
> these tests might be filaing, or if there is a fix or workaround
> available?

Many of those tests are passing on 64 bit Intel machines with the Intel
compiler.
With the optimization really turned up, I see the itkNiftiIO* tests
failing, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Sometimes differences in the optimizer can lead to test output differences.

What do you get if you compile it with no optimization at all ?
Also, numerical differences can arise if you are using -fast or
-fsimple=2 or -fsimple=1.
You might want to try it with -fsimple=0 to get strict math conformance.

I would also try with the latest version of Sun Studio to be sure any
issues in earlier versions are not a problem.

Simon K. Warfield, Ph.D.        warfield at crl.med.harvard.edu
Phone: 617-732-7090                      FAX:   617-582-6033
Associate Professor of Radiology,     Harvard Medical School
Director, Computational Radiology Laboratory
Departments of Radiology at Children's Hospital and
Brigham and Women's Hospital,
Thorn 329, Dept Radiology,  Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis St, Boston, MA, 02115
MA 280, Dept Radiology, Children's Hospital Phone: 617-355-4566