[Insight-users] itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric

Grace Chen Grace.Chen at swri.ca
Wed Jun 21 11:59:52 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I tried looking for examples on how to set this metric up properly, however, none seem to work well.... The way I am setting this metric is shown below.  However, it gives rediculously bad result. And it's super slow.  To register two volume, what it used to take (when I use itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric) was 30 sec and now it's taking 10 mins or more....
And also, the metric value starts from 1.2 to 1.006.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Or does anyone know how to set this metric up proerply??

Grace

unsigned int nBins = 32;

MetricType::HistogramType::SizeType histSize;

histSize[0] = nBins;

histSize[1] = nBins;

metric->SetHistogramSize(histSize);

// Plug the images into the metric.

metric->SetFixedImage(fixedImage);

metric->SetMovingImage(movingImage);

const unsigned int numberOfParameters = transform->GetNumberOfParameters();

typedef MetricType::ScalesType ScalesType;

ScalesType scales( numberOfParameters );

scales.Fill( 1.0 );

metric->SetDerivativeStepLengthScales(scales);