[Insight-users] Segmentation-Surface Reconstruction- Questions

platon galatis pgalatis at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 22 19:46:41 EDT 2006

Hello,

Im  a mechanical engineer and my diploma thesis subject is about segmenting
a series of human 2D ct scans, in order to produce a 3D surface mesh
suitable to be exported to CAD-CAE systems for FEA.

Im trying to conclude on my strategy but i have some questions.

I've read a lot about Marching cubes,Marching tetrahedra and their
variations. All these algorithms speak for values at nodes of a regular 3D
grid. But what if the input images are binary (black/white) as a result of a
segmentation algorithm from itk?

If i said that out = 1 ,in=-1 and the boundary=0 then the linear
interpolation would always give the middle of the intersected  edge. Am i
mising something here?

Can i get results giving as input a thresholded set and by specifying the
isocontour value as the mean value of a set of  points sampled from the
desired boundary (skipping segmentation)?

I've found the Deformable models method interesting . Would it be a good
practice to produce a binary 3D image with some segmentation method, pass it
to the itk::BinaryMask3DMeshSource for a rough initial mesh and then use the
itk::DeformableMeshFilter to refine it?

Thank you for reading this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,