[Insight-users] "Look-up-table" suggestion

Martin Kavec kavec at messi.uku.fi
Fri Jun 30 07:10:40 EDT 2006

Thanks for reply, Shlomo.

I have implemented and already working SUSAN filter, which is a nonlinear
noise reduction filter:

http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/analysis/research/susan/

SUSAN nonlinear noise reduction reduces noise, ideally without blurring the
underlying image. It is necessary to choose the spatial scale of the
smoothing (just as in linear Gaussian filtering), and also an intensity
threshold. The threshold is not, however, the step function but an
exponential function of intensity difference between the working and center
pixel in neighborhood. In the original, C implementation of the filter, the
author uses a LUT for exp function, which speeds up the execution
significantly.

As I mentioned, my ITK implementation filter is ready to use, but the use of
std::exp function results about 5 times longer execution penalty. In
comparison to the original my implementation is n-dimensional, and it gives
great results on a time series of 3D volumes (such as fMRI). The problem is,
however, the execution time.

Thanks for interest and ideas.

Martin