[Insight-users] GDCM Series Dicom reader for some Siemens MRI Dicom data

Andrew Li andrew.li at synarc.com
Fri Mar 10 12:26:55 EST 2006

Dear ITK users:

This is a brief report about an instance reading Siemens MRI DICOM data:
VB33G, MAGNETOM VISION;

Our program crashed at ImageReader->Update() without catching any
exception thrown.

The problem is tracked down to this section in
Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmDocument.cxx

   //////// Fix for some brain-dead 'Leonardo' Siemens images.
   // Occurence of such images is quite low (unless one leaves close to
   // 'Leonardo' source. Hence, one might consider commenting out the
   // following fix on efficiency reasons.
   //
   else if ( gr   == 0x0009 && ( elem == 0x1113 || elem == 0x1114 ) )
   {
      foundLength = 4;
      entry->SetReadLength(4); // a bug is to be fixed !
   }

The problem is gone when I commented out this section.

It seems to me that the original problem in the headers is fixed and
this section that handles the original problem is not compatible with
new headers.

-Andrew

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.