[Insight-users] MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric exception thrown

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue May 2 16:47:35 EDT 2006

Hi Rick,

This exception is thrown when the Transform is so way off that the
Moving image is no longer mapped on top of the Fixed image. In other
words, the two images do not have any overlap.

It typically occurs if you have a poor initialization of the transform
parameters, or if you have set the parameters of your optimizer to move
too fast. For example:

a Learning Rate too large in the Gradient Descent Optimizer
a Step length too large in the Regular Step Gradient Descent Optimizer
a Radius too large in the One Plus One Evolutionary optimizer

It also may happen when you have inappropriate scaling values for
the parameters passed to the optimizer. For example if your rotations
(in radians) are being performed at the numerical range of your
translations (in millimeters).

Are you plugging a Command/Observer to the optimizer ?

Looking at the trace of values provided by the command observer
is a good way of finding which one of the following conditions
are the cause of this exception being thrown.