[Insight-users] ITK images to floating-point HDR formats

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue May 2 20:02:15 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm interested in using some visualization tools developed for
"HDR" (high dynamic range) images from the computer graphics world.

Unfortunately, the HDR image formats developed by these people, now
increasingly standard for HDR imaging, are pretty unrelated to the
formats for medical imaging that have supported high dynamic ranges
for years.

My question is whether anyone knows any intermediate floating-point
formats that both ITK and some HDR conversion tool or another can
read. Right now, I've can write unsigned shorts out from ITK as
tiffs and can convert them to Radiance HDR formats via ra_tiff; I
unfortunately can't find an analogous path for floating-point images.

Anyone have any experience/leads/thoughts in this direction? Tools
for nrrd images perhaps?

Zach