[Insight-users] Using filter with an Image with scalars of type short doesn't compile

Jim Miller millerjv at gmail.com
Sat May 6 09:18:39 EDT 2006

The documentation for this filter says the output image type must be a
floating point image (float or double).

This requirements is because the filter is iterative and calculates
gradients.  If the output type is short, there will be considerable
round-off, overflow, and round-off accumulation which could produce
substantial artefacts.

To process your image of shorts, you should be able to instantiate the
filter with an input of an image of shorts and an output of an image of
floats.

If you want the final result to be an image of shorts, then used a
CastImageFilter after the curvature flow filter.

Jim