[Insight-users] ITK images to floating-point HDR formats

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sat May 6 15:10:18 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,

For reference, here's Greg Ward's (an HDR imaging originator) page on
the different HDR formats:
http://www.anyhere.com/gward/hdrenc/hdr_encodings.html .

Basically, the formats are trying to optimize things differently than
what you'd want for medical or microscopy imaging, including good
color support, small file size, and perceptual encoding.

Perhaps a good and easy (compared to implementing one of these
formats) thing that ITK could do would be to support 32-bit floating-
point TIFF IO. Photoshop CS2 can read these, as can HDRShop, ra_tiff
(the radiance tool) and probably others. It's not particularly space-
efficient, but it is something of an interlingua for these different
formats.

Zach