[Insight-users] itk::NormalizedCorrelationImageToImageMetric

Jim Miller millerjv at gmail.com
Sun May 7 12:10:56 EDT 2006

The NormalizedCorrelationImageToImageMetric is just a metric.  You provide
it with two images and a transform.  The registration framework can be used
to adjust the parameters of the transformation to identify the optimal
transformation to align the images.  In this context, the transformation
relates the physical space (mm, ft, etc.) of the two images not their
indices.

You have a choice of transformations: rigid, affine, deformable to define
the relationship between the two image coordinate frames.  You also have a
choice of optimization methods: gradient descent, lbfgs, amoeba, etc.

You also have the freedom to employ the metric yourself by providing a
series of transformations.  For instance, you could uniformly sample a set
of translations to identify which translation gives the best normalized
correlation value.

Jim