[Insight-users] How get XYZ seed point (3D) form 2d image slices

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 10 08:25:18 EDT 2006

Hi Mariusz

Once you loaded a series of DICOM slices into an ITK 3D image,
you do have access to 3D information, including positions.

   Your problem is mostly a matter of GUI user interaction.

   What are you using for visualization ? (VTK, OpenGL )
   What are you using for GUI ? (MFC, FLTK, Qt, wxWindows)

Usually the viewer that you use, will have selected a particular
slice out of the 3D volume, and then it will know the Z coordinate
of the plane where you are clicking.

If you are using VTK you can take advantage of the ImagePlaneWidget.
For an example,  please take a look at the file:

    InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
           itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx

If you are using FLTK for the GUI, you should take a look at
the fltkImageViewer class in

           InsightApplications/
                        Auxiliary/
                           FltkImageViewer