[Insight-users] about data release

Yixun Liu yxliu at fudan.edu.cn
Thu May 18 03:40:01 EDT 2006

Hi,

I built a pipeline as shown below,

//use itk to read dicom series
dicomReader = ReaderType_Short::New();//itk
dicomReader->SetFileNames( fileNames );
dicomReader->Update();

 //convert itk image to vtk image
 connectorMRI = ConnectorType::New();
 connectorMRI->SetInput(dicomReader->GetOutput());
 try
 {
  connectorMRI->Update();
 }
 catch( itk::ExceptionObject & excp )
 {
  std::cerr << "Error reading the series " << std::endl;
  std::cerr << excp << std::endl;
 }

//shift image from short to unsigned short type for vtk visualization
shift->SetInput(connectorMRI->GetOutput());
shift->ReleaseDataFlagOn();
shift->Update();

//Generate a vtk volume
volume = GenerateVTKVolume(shift->GetOutput());

I read a dicoms series, which needs  about 100M memory. I take a look at the memory that ITKImage holds 100M and the shift holds another 100M. However, I set the release data flag to On in shift. Why does it not release the memory ?

Regards,

Yixun Liu