[Insight-users] Re: Insight Journal Qn... :

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri May 26 11:42:03 EDT 2006

Hi Kalpathi,

The review process for the Insight Journal never finishes.

Papers are never rejected or accepted in the Insight Journal,
They are posted, verified and rated.

Reviewers  and readers are entitled to evaluate the paper,
by checking the code that accompanies the paper.

In this context a paper may receive a couple of reviews in
the weeks following its submission, and then continue
receiving reviews months later.

This is like Participatory Democracy..., the problem that
we have been facing is that our community is too used to
the Tyranny of the classical peer-review process, and our
readers are still too shy with respect to submitting
reviews.

Our community have been subject for too long to the twisted
notion that "supernatural" beings (the reviewers) are the
only ones entitled for judging the quality of technical
publications, and that readers are simply mindless consumers
of what the reviewers consider to be worthy technical work.

This notion, of course, have been nurtured by the fact that
a closed peer-review process prevents readers from seing the
medicrity with which reviews are actually performed. The
simple fact that today, most reviews do not involve *any*
sort of reproducibility test, or validation test, is enough
for disqualifying that review as a "scientific" undertaking.

The tradicional peer-review that our community has been
practicing for decades is equivalent to the decacence of
greek philosophers who created mental models of the world,
but never went down to test those models experimentally.

In the environment of the Insight Journal, readers should
evolve into more mature participants and exercise their
critical thinking when reading technical publications,
then procede to verify experimentally the claims made by
the authors of such publications.

The Insight Journal is at the point where its future
depends on whether readers decide to evolve into active
participants of the scientific process, or they prefer
to go back to the dark ages of medieval publishing in
which they are only supposed to be passive consumers
of what a minority of "choosen ones" decide that is
"good for them".

BTW,

       Have you submitted any reviews
       recently to the Insight Journal ?    :-)

    Best Regards,

       Luis