[Insight-users] Alignment of two 3D surfaces

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Nov 30 08:49:11 EST 2006

Hi JD,

   ITK can perform registration between surfaces.

You may want to use the PointSetToPointSetRegistration
method, that is described in the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

You will find examples of source code for performing
ICP in the directory:

      Insight/Examples/Patented/
          IterativeClosestPoint1.cxx
          IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx
          IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx

Note that the patent for ICP recently expired,
so that should not be an issue anymore.

Note also that one of the examples illustrates how
to accelerate the registration process by precomputing
a distance map to one of the surfaces. In this way, the
registration method uses less time finding the closest
neighbor points from one surface to the other.