[Insight-users] Cannot read DICOM file series : They are not DICOM !

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Oct 1 16:28:23 EDT 2006

Hi Luca,

      The files in

              http://nova.nlm.nih.gov/data/

     are  *NOT* DICOM files they are just RAW data slices.

Please read the README files that are in each one of the datasets.

One easy way to read this data is by creating MetaImage headers
that refer to the list of raw file slices.

Please find attached the MetaImage header for the Tooth and Knee
datasets.

Luca Binotto wrote:
> Hello users,
> I need to read the dicom file series hosted at http://nova.nlm.nih.gov/data/
> knee sheep and tooth series.
> For that purpose I used the code found in Examples/IO
> DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx:
>
> For example to read the knee series I used:
> (  MRI human knee: each pixel is 16 bits (an unsigned short), data ordering BigEndian)

.... snip