[Insight-users] Why ITK re-implements VTK?

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 13:39:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

I understand that ITK does not fully cover VTK, eg ITK does not provide
visualisation facilities. In this way, ITK and VTK 'complete' each other,
they also 'overlap' to some great extent. Many classes in VTK  are
re-implemented in ITK. One can say the reason behind this is because of the
fact that ITK it template-based and it is specifically designed for medical
image analysis. Even so, VTK could have been implemented in the same way, ie
template-based. This leads to these problems:

(1) With the current design, a program that is based on VTK+ITK draggs a lot
of duplicated resources, each implemented in a different approach.

(2) The overlapping classes cause confusion for developers. For example, if
one wants to use/extend an image import class, why (and why not) the VTK (or
ITK) approach should be superior.