[Insight-users] ITK and GAlib

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 23 09:26:05 EDT 2006

Hi Severino,

We are not aware of anybody having integrated GAlib with ITK.

This will be a great thing to do, since GAlib has such a nice
set of genetic algorithms implemented.

The current examples on how to integrate optimizations methods
are the ones you have seen for VNL.

However, GALib will probably be easier to implement, since the
main thing to do is to create helper classes deriving from the
GAGenome::Evaluator(GAGenome&) class, and internally have it to
invoke ITK cost functions.

Then you can write ITK classes that contain GALib optimizers,
maybe the generic : GAGeneticAlgorithm class.

Now that GALIb is being distributed under a BSD License, and given
that its source code is less than 2Mb, it will be very easy to
include it in the Utilities directory of ITK, and integrate it
with the Optimizers in the Code/Numerics directory.

   Please let us know if you have specific problem with this
   implementation.