[Insight-users] Writing private tags to a DICOM file

Martin Kavec kavec at messi.uku.fi
Wed Oct 25 07:02:45 EDT 2006

Hi,

I did a small test by taking single DICOM image (coming from MR, Philips
Achieva) read and wrote it back to a single DICOM image(using simplified
DicomImageReadWrite.cxx). This went fine,
except that the output file is stripped of all the private tags. I can
print the private tags using examples from the SoftwareGuide and
Examples, however they are not transferred to the output. I also tried to
pass them by default by calling itk::GDCMImageIO LoadPrivateTagsOn() and
writer->SetMetaDataDictionary( reader->GetMetaDataDictionary() ), yet the
private tags are not there (I checked using OsiriX) and the file size is
smaller. Is it possible to write the private tags?

Thanks,

Martin