[Insight-users] Regarding Geodesic Active Contour Filter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 28 11:56:36 EDT 2006

Hi Rupin,

The seed points in this example are actually passed to the FastMarching
filter, that generates the initial level set for the GeodesicActive
Contours filter.

Please read the description of the FastMarching filter in the
ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

and its Doxygen documentation:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1FastMarchingImageFilter.html

Then read again the source code in

     Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
        GeodesicActiveContourImageFilter.cxx

and look at lines 405-406 and 413.

             At that point all should be clear to you.

You simply need to capture more seed points (from the command line or by
reading them from a file), then add each one of those seed point to the
fastMarching filter by using code such as:

         for( unsigned int i=0;  < numberOfSeed; i++)
	  {
           mySeedsFile >> seed;
           seeds->InsertElement( i, seed );
           }

        fastMarching->SetTrialPoints(  seeds  );

Remember that the great advantage of Open Source is
that you *can read the code*.