[Insight-users] Anisotropic diffusion filter class

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Aug 5 11:25:26 EDT 2007

Hi Rashed

Please read the ITK Software Guide:

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular Section: 6.7.3 "Edge Preserving Smoothing"

You will find examples on the use of this filter (and
similar ones) at:

        Insight/Examples/Filtering

The images used in the example are available at

        Insight/Examples/Data

You may want to start by running the source code
of the examples:

    BilateralImageFilter.cxx
    CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.cxx
    CurvatureFlowImageFilter.cxx
    GradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.cxx

on the images provided in Insight/Examples/Data
and using the parameters that are listed at the
top of the source code, with the tags:

    BeginCommandLineArgs
    EndCommandLineArgs

for example, in the CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.cxx
You will fine lines 25-29

//  Software Guide : BeginCommandLineArgs
//    INPUTS: {BrainProtonDensitySlice.png}
//    OUTPUTS: {CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilterOutput.png}
//    5 0.125 3
//  Software Guide : EndCommandLineArgs

Meaning that you should run this using the command line:

    CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.exe
        BrainProtonDensitySlice.png
        CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilterOutput.png
        5 0.125 3

[all in a single line]

To replicate the results that are displayed in the
ITK Software Guide.

The structure of the ITK Software Guide was designed to empower
readers to verify the *reproducibility* of the examples...

...a property that unfortunately has never been provided
in the decadent Journals of our community... to the point
that it has become a "mythical" property.