[Insight-users] Notes on WrapITK under Windows

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at cpbotha.net
Tue Aug 7 11:15:15 EDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr> wrote:
> > (1) The linker complains about the debug version of the python
> > library. Python for windows is not shipped with the debug library,
> > however, it can be downloaded somewhere from http://
> > www.activestate.com .
>
> I never tried that - only a basic install of the binaries from python
> website.

Building to the RelWithDebInfo target, I had none of these problems.

> > (2) Compilation with the default cmake settings takes a long-long
> > time generating over 3 Gb of binaries. Obviously, it will take a
> > big-big memory to load all these libraries at run time. As ITK is
> > continuously gworing, this will get worse and worse -- perhaps it
> > is necessary to re-design the architecture of the wrapping mechanism.
>
> sure.
> The explicit instantiation may be a solution. We didn't get enough
> time to experiment it with wrapitk though.

It's not as bad as it sounds.  My binary install of the RelWithDebInfo
WrapITK 3.2 (VS 2005 SP1) is about 500MB.  I'm using more than the
default settings.

> > Error    9    error C2248:
> > 'itk::ReconstructionImageFilter<TInputImage,TOutputImage,TCompare>::En
> > largeOutputRequestedRegion' : cannot access protected member
> > declared in class
> > 'itk::ReconstructionImageFilter<TInputImage,TOutputImage,TCompare>'
> >  e:\dev\itk\WrapITK-bin\Modules\Morphology
> > \wrap_itkReconstructionByErosionImageFilterPython.cxx    2888
> >
> > Error    10    error C2248:
> > 'itk::ReconstructionImageFilter<TInputImage,TOutputImage,TCompare>::En
> > largeOutputRequestedRegion' : cannot access protected member
> > declared in class
> > 'itk::ReconstructionImageFilter<TInputImage,TOutputImage,TCompare>'
> >  e:\dev\itk\WrapITK-bin\Modules\Morphology
> > \wrap_itkReconstructionByErosionImageFilterPython.cxx    6154

I didn't see this problems, probably due to a difference in my config.

You can download my WrapITK 3.2 binaries by going here:
http://cpbotha.net/2007/08/02/python-enabled-vtk-51-and-itk-32-windows-binaries/