[Insight-users] fast marching algorithm very time consuming?

Michal Plotkowiak michal.plotkowiak at bnc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 11:16:45 EDT 2007

Luis,

it is a standard PC (2.4GHz,512MB)

I was keeping the treshold at 100 and by changing the stopping time my seed
points were growing (i was observing output4 instead of final program output).
So you suggest I should increase both values for example to 300 and 310?

many thanks
michal

In message <46C06E15.7050200 at kitware.com> Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
> FastMarching should take only seconds in that size of data set.
>
> You are requesting a stopping time of 2000 and thresholding at 100,
> that means that all the times from 101 to 2000 are going to waste.
>
> If you are going to threshold at 100, you can just set the stopping
> time to a value slightly above the threshold. For example, you could
> stop at 110.
>
> The heuristic for choosing the stopping time relates to the size of
> the object that you want to segment and to the average value of the
> speed image in the region that goes from the seed points to the
> boundaries of the object that you want to segment.
>

> BTW: What is the profile of your computer ?
>       OS, Processor, Memory ?
>

>     Regards,
>

>        Luis
>

> -------------------------
> Michal Plotkowiak wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm segmenting 3D data of a heart using FastMarchingImageFilter program.
The
> > data size is 256x256x362. Every 5th slice I generate seed points
(approximately
> > 300 on a slice). My threshold time is 100 and stoping time 2000. When I ran
the
> > simulation only for 6 slices I get good results but after about an hour.
When I

--
Michal Plotkowiak
Doctoral Researcher