[Insight-users] Generating Imag from Histogram using Intensity Function

Lars Nygard lnygard at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 06:46:39 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Im trying to make an applet where I scroll through an image and
where I can see the histogram of every slice. However Im getting
an error from windows when I try to update the HistogramToIntensityImageFilter.
Im first trying with a 2D png image.
Ive tried to catch the error but windows is giving an error and I don't know what's
wrong. The code is bellow. Anybody got an idea what's wrong??
thanks,
Lars Nygard

//Declare input Image
  typedef unsigned char      PixelType;
  const   unsigned int        Dimension = 2;
  typedef unsigned char MeasurementType ;
  typedef itk::Image< PixelType, Dimension >    ImageType;
  typedef itk::Image< unsigned char, 2> BinImageType;

  //reader
  typedef itk::ImageFileReader< ImageType >  ReaderType;
  reader->SetFileName( "BrainSliceT1.png" );

  //code for generating the histogram
  typedef itk::Statistics::ScalarImageToHistogramGenerator< ImageType > HistogramGenType;
  typedef HistogramGenType::HistogramType  HistogramType;
  HistogramGenType::Pointer genhistogram = HistogramGenType::New();
  genhistogram->SetNumberOfBins( 256 );

  //code for converting histogram to image
  typedef itk::HistogramToIntensityImageFilter< HistogramType > HistogramToImageType;
  HistogramToImageType::Pointer histToImage = HistogramToImageType::New();

    //pipeline
    genhistogram->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
    histToImage->SetInput( genhistogram->GetOutput() );
    reader->Update();

//here windows gives an error and the program aborts
     try
    {
     histToImage->Update();
    }
  catch( itk::ExceptionObject & excp )
    {
    std::cerr << "Exception thrown while reading image" << excp << std::endl;
    }