[Insight-users] About Level sets

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 20 12:22:03 EDT 2007

Hi Rashed,

The speed image is a grayscale image, typically with pixel
values in the range from 0.0 to 1.0.  The image must have
values 0.0 in the places where you want the LevelSet front
to stop, and should have values close to 1.0 in the places
where you want to levelset front to propagate.

You will find multiple examples of how a good speed image
should look like in the ITK Software Guide:

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

See for example, section 9.3.1 "Fast Marching Segmentation",
in pdf-pages 565-573. You will see examples of speed images
in figures 9.16, 9.18 and 9.22. All of these illustrate
speed images based on the gradient magnitude.