[Insight-users] Re: universal compile error on OSX - itkopenjpeg

Dan White white at mpi-cbg.de
Tue Aug 28 04:58:26 EDT 2007

Hi Sean,

On Aug 27, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 8/27/07 7:25 PM, Dan White said:
>
>> I wonder if anyone else is seeing this compile error
>> when trying to build universal binaries for ITK on OSX
>>
>> I am running the build on an 8 core Mac Pro Intel Xeon,
>> with
>> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES set to ppc;i386
>>
>> ITK 3.2.0 release from webpage (not CVS, but this also happens with
>> CVS version)
>>
>> and indeed universal dynamic libs are being created
>> with i386 and pcc binaries i them (i can check using the file
>> command)
>
> Our nightly dashboard builds with CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES set to
> ppc;i386, I don't see any problems with it.  One difference is that we
> build static libs, not dynamic.  Maybe try changing that?

I am using wrapITK which requires shared libs...
... should that make any difference..?  Doesnt seem to be a liner
problem, rather the compiler?

> Which version of cmake are you using?

was using 2.4.6, this morning used 2.4.7, same error.
maybe I'll try cvs...

>> but... when it gets to compiling itkopenjpeg
>> i get a cryptic error, see below
>>
>> If  CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES is set to i386
>> there is no error.
>
> BTW, if CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES has only one item (ex i386, like
> above)
> it is totally ignored and CMake will build for the 'native'
> system.  On
> your Mac Pro you'll get i386 anyway.  But if, on a Mac Pro, you set it
> to only "ppc" you'll still get i386!  Just a FYI. :)

Yes I noticed that..
this "feature" is in the CMake bug tracker already right (same for
VTK?)  ? Or should i add it to an existing  bug report for CMake
universal build setup if there is one...its hard to find bugs by name
on the kitware tracker of you dont know the number of the bug...

funny how i didnt see this before.....  i did make a universal build
of ITK 3.2.0 some time on or before july 5th on a intel mac that runs
on a G5. ....
  when did OSX 10.4.10 come out... maybe its that?
As far as i can tell i'm not doing anything else different, apart
from I am now using cmake 2.4.7 not 2.4.6.

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

+49 (0) 177 9 68 27 81 (German Mobile)
+49  (0) 351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0) 351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)
+358 (0) 468102840 (Finnish mobile, only when I'm in Finland)
http://www.bioimagexd.net
http://www.chalkie.org.uk
dan at chalkie.org.uk
( white at mpi-cbg.de )