[Insight-users] Circle detection in itk

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Sat Jan 6 12:55:58 EST 2007

Hi Ali,
Hi Luis,

I guess this mail reply to some of the question I wanted to ask after your
last mail about particle detection - great :-)

Le Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:10:53 +0100, Ali - <saveez at hotmail.com> a écrit:

> Hi Luis,
> Thanks for the reply, I thought the itk community was dead in the new
> year.

some of us may have survived to their holidays ;-)

> I need to detect the position and diameter of randomly distributed
> particle-images where it is assumed each particle-image has a Gaussian
> profile.  > 1) How fast do you need the circle detection to be ?
> The circle detection algorithm must be fast, it is applied to an
> ensemble of particle-images with Gaussian profile. Each image may
> contain tens to hundreds of particle-images.

Are there only circluar particles in your image or also other shapes ?
In the case there are only circular particules, a simple thresholding and
a labelisation of the connected components may be enough. If the particles
are on a non uniform background, you can first apply a top-hat to remove
it. If the intensity of the particules is not uniform from image to image,
it may be difficult to find a good threshold value, but some automatic
thresholding methods may give good results.
If there are other shapes, what are they ? How big are they compared to
the particules ?
It would help if you can give a link to an example.

Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)