[Insight-users] Orientation in Analyze files

David Nichols dnichols at sourcesignal.com
Tue Jan 9 20:40:51 EST 2007

When I use itk to read and then write an Analyze file, following the
code in the Software Guide example

     writer->SetInput( reader->GetOutput() );
     writer->Update();

a strange thing happens.  The output image data is the same as the input
image data, while the orientation is changed from axial to coronal.  It
seems like it would make a difference in the geometry if one changed the
most slowly varying index from marking axial slices (on the input) to
marking coronal slices (the way one would interpret the header for the
output).  I had read in the mail list that the data was always written
in coronal orientation when using Analyze files, but I had assumed that
the output was logically equivalent to the input.  This seems not to be
the case.  How can I make this trivial operation actually trivial?

Thanks for any help.

David Nichols
Source Signal Imaging