[Insight-users] Existence of an ITK .net-assembly

Dan Mueller d.mueller at qut.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 15:20:14 EST 2007

Hi Hendrik,

There are (or potentially will be) a number of options for using ITK
with CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) aka. dot net, aka C#, aka.
managed C++:

1. At the moment, you can use use ITK with C++/CLI (an "extension" to
the C++ standard produced by Microsoft). This option is only available
for those machines running the CLR (eg. Windows). See the following
insight-users email for more details:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2006-October/019652.html.

2. There is talk of moving WrapITK from CableSWIG to pure SWIG (SWIG as
of version 1.3.18 supports C#). Currently WrapITK only supports Tcl,
Java and Python, so obviously support for C# will also need to be added.
I'm not sure if or when the move to pure SWIG will happen (Gaetan?), but
if it does happen and the C# wrappers are added to WrapITK, I /suspect/
(this is just hunch, requiring further investigation) that the wrappers
will execute on both CLR and Mono machines (ie. Windows, Linux, Solaris,
Mac OS X, Unix). The same be achieved if CableSWIG was updated to a
newer version of SWIG, again I'm not sure if this will or has already
happened...?

3. There is talk that IronPython v1.1 (a Python implementation for the
CLI:
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseName=1.1%20Alpha)
will support the import of pre-compiled Python modules (ie. it could
import the existing WrapITK Python wrappers). I'm not sure if this will
happen or work, but something to keep your eye on maybe.

4. Off and on for a while now, before some of the above options where
available/conceivable, I started creating some wrappers around common
ITK objects using C++/CLI (note: these run on Windows only due to the
dependency on the vcredist assemblies). I have used these wrappers in
both C# and IronPython applications. If others are interested, I could
probably make them available via the Insight Journal.

HTH

Cheers

Dan