[Insight-users] Area and volume calculation technique - need list of standard definitions and descriptions

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Wed Jan 17 10:27:20 EST 2007

Hi

In tumor segmentation for clinical trials, whether 2D or 3D,
and "size" measurements are required for disease assessment
and change tracking, etc.

When these are recorded for posterity (e.g. in DICOM SR or
some other form), there may be a need to also record how
the calculation were derived from the coordinates, contours,
surfaces or whatever.

This is true both for documentation as well as to ensure that
when the coordinates, contours, surfaces are reloaded into
the same or a different application, that they recomputed
values are the same.

What I am looking for is a list and definitions of such methods
(to include as codes in the DICOM standard to accompany recorded
measurements).

I thought that I would look at ITK to see what standard metrics
and algorithms were implemented for this; I expected to find
something in itk::Statistics, but did not.

Is anyone interested in working on such standard definitions ?

David