[Insight-users] Hessian Matrix

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Jan 18 13:58:57 EST 2007

----
As Chris mentioned, the filter Hessian3DToVesselnessMeasureImageFilter is a
direct translation of the "3D Line filter using Hessian Matrix" from
http://splweb.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/pages/papers/yoshi/node3.html#SECTION00021000000000000000.

It is intended for the extraction of tubular structures (blood vessels,
bronchi..)

----

If you find the performance of the line filter unsatisfactory, you might
want to look at the following application:
  http://itk.org/HTML/Curve3DExtraction.htm

This application is partly a superset of what you'd do with the
VesselenessMeasureImage Filter. It plots the each pixel in eigen space and
then allows you to play with the region in eigen space where you'd find
tubular structures  and discard noise by decreasing the depth of the
frustum, away from the origin.

Rephrased, both the vesseleness and the above application do the same upto a
certain point :
  ie both do
Scalar Image -> Image with 3D Hessian matrix at each pixel -> Eigen Values
at each pixel .

Tubular structures are pixels with a two large (negative) eigen values and a
near zero eigen value.
 - The vesselness filter (with some filtering) picks those pixels out for
you.
 - The Curves3DExtractor application will allow you to position a frustum in
eigen space to interactively pick those out.

----

HTH
-karthik