[Insight-users] HessianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter

Iván Macía imacia at vicomtech.es
Wed Jul 4 11:25:21 EDT 2007

Hi Won-Ki,

Regarding Q1 you are right, the filter computes in the 3D case the six
possible gaussian second order derivatives. Note that the filter uses
itk::RecursiveGaussianImageFilter internally.

Regarding Q2 I think you are also right. When computing second orderivative
(G*I)xx the filter applies recursive gaussian smoothing with first order
derivative twice in the x direction, but the number of smoothing filter is
fixed in the static member NumberOfSmoothingFilters = ImageDimension-2, so
in the 3D case there is only a single smoothing filter.

I made a small test with a 3D MRI image, applied HessianRecursiveGaussian
filter with sigma = 5.0 and extracted the six components of the hessian
tensor. The attached image shows an slice of the original image and the
sixth component (G*I)zz of the hessian matrix of the same slice. It seems
like there is smoothing in x but no smoothing in y (see the narrow
horizontal lines).

I made a Bug entry in the bug tracker with ID 5292
http://www.itk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5292

Best regards

Ivan