[Insight-users] Automated 3D region growing algorithm

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 5 13:25:42 EDT 2007

Hi Kambiz,

It all depends on how large is your classification of "Region Growing".

What we formally call "Region Growing" methods in ITK: all require
seed points or initial regions as input data.

If you consider Watersheds to be a Region Growing method, then that will
qualify for your question. Most Level Set methods could arguably be
called "Region Growing" methods too.

That being said, what you described is a pretty "Magical" method, since
it is not clear to me *what* are you segmenting from the image. That is,
a typical medical image will contain mutliple organs, and at some point
you have to specify which one of all of those organs you are interested
in segmenting, unless the segmentation method produces a total partition
of the image... and stil we will have to ask if the blood vessels inside
an organ should be classified as part of the organ or as part of the
circulatory system...

The description of this "magical" method sounds very appealing for a
standard paper to be submitted to one of the many decadent journals
and conferences in our field, where the main interest is to qualify for
the "originality cookie" by claiming that the content of the paper is
some "never seen before" method.

It doesn't sound like the serious method that you may want to use
for an actual medical application.