[Insight-users] Error in Registration results

Emma Ryan eryanvtk at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 14:20:10 EDT 2007

Hi Luis,

  Thank you for your reply. Well, the algorithm takes very long. It stops only because it reaches the 500th iteration (the limit). Yes, both are CT images.

I guess the lungs collapse because I do the registration in one step, instead of using Rigid registration as a precursor.

My dataset is as such :

Set 1 : 512 x 512 x 30 (resolution 0.68 x 0.68 x 1.0)
Set 2: 512 x 512 x 30 (resolution 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0)

The ITK example file has a default spacing of  (1, 1, 1) I guess and I had used this earlier, hence the result I guess.

I have since changed it. But the results are not good. The output image does not have default values in the middle, but the difference images are highly speckled. I am not sure why this has happened. I have yet to run enough tests to make sur ethat I do not get any default values in the center slices.

Also, doesn't ITK automatically get the spacing information from the dicom files ?
I wrote a program to read dicom series, generate a .vtk file and rewrite teh dicom series.

While the output images of this dicom conversion match the input, the .vtk file has wrong spacing information (1, 1, 1) instead of (0.68, 0.68, 1). Hence I am also not able to view it in Volview.

What happens to the spacing information, is a mystery.

Any tips how I can solve this ?

Emma