[Insight-users] Error in filter updating.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jul 5 15:02:45 EDT 2007

Hi Francisco,

It is very unusual for an ITK filter to produce an image
output with a NULL buffer.

What leads you to believe that the buffer has a NULL pointer ?

   Are you looking at this image with a viewer and finding
   that it is (or look) black ?

   Are you printing out the values of the Image ?

   Are you running this in a Debugger ?

Why are you not printing the exception in the catch statement ?
with your current code, it is likely that the filter is throwing
an exception and you are catching it but not doing anything about
it, not even reporting the fact that the exception is there.

Normally a catch() block should, at least, contain a std::cerr
message such as:

      try
        {
        connectedThreshold->Update();
        }
      catch( itk::ExceptionObject &exc )
        {
        std::cerr << exc << std::endl;
        }

You shoudl also add a print statement after the catch block,
to help track what may be happening to the filter, something
like

     connectedThreshold->GetOutput()->Print( std::cout );

What most likely is happening is that the segmentation parameters
that were applicable to your image of 50 slices are not applicable
to your image of 70 slices. And, that doesn't really have to do
with the 50 or 70 slices, but with the variations in intensity
levels on both images, and the quality of the location given to
the initial seed.