[Insight-users] structuring element for morphological operators

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 20:16:13 EDT 2007

This is a timely question. We are about to submit a paper to the
MICCAI workshop that covers this sort of thing. In particular an
updated version of the FlatStructuringElement class that we introduced
a while back. SE's like cubes and octagons can be decomposed into
lines and therefore implemented using much faster techniques than the
neighborhood iterator based approaches. For example, a cube can be
built using 3 orthogonal line operations. Methods exist for carrying
out a line dilation or erosion that have complexity independent of the
line length, which mean that a dilation by a cube can be carried out
in a time that is independent of cube size. These methods are
implemented in the code associated with the paper that will be
uploaded to InsightJournal in the next couple of hours.