[Insight-users] Re: help for BinaryThinningImageFilter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 9 08:06:00 EDT 2007

Hi Qxue,

Both the result of the ITK and the ImageJ filters seems to be
correct, depending on how you want to treat the boundary.

The ITK output is correct, if you assume that the dark boundary
of the image continues to infinity.

The ImageJ output is correct, if you assume that the intensity
values outside of the image are white.

ImageJ is giving you skeleton lines in the middle distance between
the cells and the image boundary.

I prefer the output of the ITK filter, since it doesn't introduce
artificial boundaries.

In the case of your application, you should decide what type of
boundary condition makes more sense.