[Insight-users] Problems installing WrapITK on 64-bit Fedora Core 6

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Jul 12 17:45:29 EDT 2007

Benjamin Goldenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 16:22 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>>> I tried adding the -fPIC option to CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, and it did not seem
>>> to make a difference. I got the same error. I looked for the shared
>>> build option, but could not find it in ccmake. How would I go about
>>> configuring shared builds? I appreciate the help.
>>>

>> Are you sure -fPIC was used for building vnl?  make VERBOSE=1 will show the
>> flags used.
>>
>> If you set BUILD_SHARED in ccmake that should build it shared, but the
>> other should work.
>> You would need also to change CMAKE_C_FLAGS as well as CXX.
>>

> I am pretty sure -fPIC is being used for building vnl. I have set it in
> CMAKE_C_FLAGS and CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, and using VERBOSE=1 seems to indicate
> it is being used. Even, so I am still getting the same error. The
> BUILD_SHARED option does not seem to be present in ccmake. For
> clarification, I am calling ccmake ../WrapITK in a build directory I
> created for WrapITK.

OK, WrapITK may not have a BUILD_SHARED option...   You should do a
remove of this file: vnl_matrix_fixed_ref+float.3.3-.o

/usr/bin/ld:
/usr/local/lib/InsightToolkit/libitkvnl.a(vnl_matrix_fixed_ref+float.3.3-.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Then re-run make just to make sure it is compiled with -fPIC.  That
really should work....

-Bill