[Insight-users] Operations on large 3D 8 bits datas

Dan Mueller d.mueller at qut.edu.au
Fri Jul 27 15:24:23 EDT 2007

Hi Yannick,

Indeed, the itkGradientMagnitudeRecursiveGaussianImageFilter uses
floating point intermediate images: the great thing about open source is
that you can see for yourself!

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/BasicFilters/itkGradientMagnitudeRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.h?root=Insight&view=markup
around line 71.

I too am working with large 3D datasets and regularly received similar
memory allocation exceptions -- the solution for me was to move to a
64-bit machine. Are you on a 32-bit machine? How much physical memory
does your machine have?

Cheers, Dan