[Insight-users] Elasticity Values for lung, liver, prostate

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Jul 29 18:56:06 EDT 2007

Hi Emma,

                    When you say "FEM",

       are you referring the Deformable Image Registration
       methods in ITK ?

If so, please note that the FEM methods *DO NOT* model the physical
properties of the tissues that are contained in your image.

What the FEM methods do is to assimilate an image to a block of
elastic material, and use the natural smoothness of the material
physical properties as a way of regularizing the deformation
field.

In practice you have to guess the values of elasticity.

What you want to do is to start with very high values of elasticity,
and to reduce them progressively depending on how much deformation
you want to induce.

Note that the elasticity constant relates the amount of deformation
with the magnitude of the force required to induce such deformation.
The larger the elasticity, the stronger is the force that you need
for creating a given deformation.

You may find useful to assist your search by using ParaView for
visualizing the deformation field produced by the FEM filter.

You will find instructions on how to do this, in the ITK
Software Guide:

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf