[Insight-users] Operations on large 3D 8 bits datas

Dan Mueller d.mueller at qut.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 07:05:19 EDT 2007

Hi Yannick,
> I haven't seen the float InternalRealType line 71. In fact, I'm new
> user, and the code stills a bit confuse for me.
Welcome aboard! I had the same trouble at first: ITK implements so many
different concepts that it can be overwhelming, but in my experience it
was definitely the worth the initial effort to become familiar with the
toolkit. The ITK Software Guide is a great place to start:
http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
> Do you think it is possible to switch the internal real type to a less
> consumming type ?
I fairly sure the internal type must be real to avoid loss of data when
applying the Gaussian kernel.
> What is the interest of the 64-bits ?
In simple terms, a 64-bit system has an address bus which is 64 bits
wide rather than 32 bits. This means that a process (ie. program) can
reference a larger block of memory. On a 32-bit system the total memory
a program can use at once (without too much fiddling around) is 2^32 =
4GB (on some systems -- Windows at least -- the operating system uses
some of this, approximately 2GB). On a 64-bit system the total memory
which can be addressed is 2^64 = BIG!

Kevin wrote back to your original email suggesting the use of image
streaming as another mechanism for dealing with large images:
    http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-users/2007-July/023099.html
This is certainly another valid approach for your particular problem:
the GradientMagnitudeRecursiveGaussianImageFilter does not require the
whole image to perform its operation, but could be applied to smaller
sections and reassembled at the end.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers, Dan