[Insight-users] difference between vector and covariantvector

yannick pannier pannier at lms.polytechnique.fr
Tue Jun 5 05:25:37 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm learning how to use ITK's library and I don't understand very well
the difference between itk::CovariantVector and itk::Vector classes.

The ITK's software guide say :

//  covariant vector differs from a vector in the way they behave
//  under affine transforms, in particular under anisotropic
//  scaling. If a covariant vector represents the gradient of a
//  function, the transformed covariant vector will still be the valid
//  gradient of the transformed function, a property which would not
//  hold with a regular vector.

Does anyone could give me more explanations ?

Thanks,

Yannick