Re: [Insight-users] polynomial fitting for fcMRI processing

Tomáš Kazmar Tomash.Kazmar at seznam.cz
Wed Jun 6 17:58:39 EDT 2007

Hi Jeroen,

  part of what Luis adviced was using Levenberg-Marquardt to fit a polynomial
with sum of squared differences as a metric. It sounds to me pretty much as
least squares;) BTW, in non-linear cases you always end up with numerical
solutions to least squares, so it depends what kind of problem this is.

Regards,
Tomas

# Hi,
#
# If you restrict yourself to polynomials, then why don't you use a
# LeastSquares fitting algorithm?
# http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeastSquaresFittingPolynomial.html
# You can work out the cubic case and obtain a closed-form formula for the
# fit. I don't know
# how the LevenbergMarquardt performance with respect to the LeastSquares
# fitting, but I guess
# that LeastSquares fitting is both faster and more accurate in this case.
#
# best,
# Jeroen
#
# Karen Guan wrote:
# > Hi Luis,
# >
# > Thanks very much for the answer and the reference! However, after the
# > manual of itk::MultivariateLegendrePolynomial seems to suggest that
# > this function works only for 2D and 3D data. Although it's possible to
# > add one dummy dimension (eg. all zero), I'm wondering whether there's
# > a function more suitable for 1D signal.
# >
# > Best,
# > - Karen
# >