[Insight-users] Level Set / Fast Marching explanations

gatts gatsu g4tts at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:34:52 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I would like to have some details on the way it works because I don't fully
understand it.

First, I was wondering what the "speed" of an image refers to. What do you
call the speed of an image?

On the figure 9.14 of the itksoftwareguide, numbers are written next to the
level set surface gamma. I guess that those are the distance between gamma
and the pixel next to it. However, how is it calculated? For instance, if
you pick the pixel at the bottom with the value 0.4 and the one at the left
is -0.4. Why is the first one positive and the second one negative ? They
both seem to be outside the real gamma. I don't figure out how it is
computed.

I tried to look at this following url to understand better :
http://math.berkeley.edu/~sethian/2006/Explanations/level_set_explain.html
If you look at the xample with the cone-shaped surface and the circle. The
starting front is a circle. The fronts at the next steps are the
intersection between the surface of the cone-shaped surface and the starting
front plane.  It seems that in the next steps, the front will still be a
circle. Why is it keeping the same form if the algorithm allows us to get
random forms ?

I am sorry to ask you those stupid questions but I would really appreciate
if someone could give some explanations.

Thanks a lot,
Regards,

Philippe