[Insight-users] MetaDataDictionary purpose?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Mon Jun 11 16:32:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'd like to understand what purpose the MetaDataDictionary serves and
whether I need to pay attention to it if I implement my own ImageIO
subclass.

I know that gdcm reads the DICOM meta data into a MetaDataDictionary,
and I understand how to use that.  Sort of.  I couldn't find any
documentation as to which value type to expect, e.g. for an element
with VR DA (Date) or PN (Person Name), for example.

All the examples in the ITK Software Guide describe getting the
MetaDataDictionary from the ImageReader, which makes sense if the goal
is to carry input image meta data; e.g. from DICOM.  Then I discovered
that each itk::Object has a MetaDataDictionary!  So now it's less
clear what the MetaDataDictionary is for.  What entries should I
expect for an itk::Command or an itk::CostFunction, for example?  Is
the dictionary just a free-for-all?

I note also that there has been discussions about passing the
dictionary along the pipeline:
  http://www.itk.org/mailman/private/insight-developers/2007-May/009140.html
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Agenda&Status_051807
Can any developers comment on the outcome of this discussion?

Thanks,
-Steve